Friday, February 17, 2012

Looking Back.

Hello friends. I know I've been somewhat silent on here for the past month or so. That means its time for an update. On Lukas, on our family, on everything.

First, let me apologize for my absence. When the one year mark of Lukas' official truncus diagnosis arrived in late January, it hit me a bit harder than I thought it would. I thought back to that fateful day when Dr. Darragh looked me and my husband in the eye and uttered the words that would forever change our lives. I remember every thought and every emotion in such raw detail that it feels like only yesterday. I'll never forget that paralyzing fear and sadness that loomed in the moments after Dr. Darragh confirmed my fears. A year later, those feelings resonated deep in my heart. I thought back to what I was doing and what I was feeling this time last year. In my deepest, darkest moments I received support and guidance from so many; my family, my friends and even complete strangers. In the months leading up to Lukas' birth, I had never been so afraid. I'd never felt so unsure or powerless. The support I received helped me in so many ways. It helped mend a heart that was breaking. I knew there was nothing I could change for my little boy, but it certainly helped me be stronger and better for him. It helped prepare me to fight the good fight and it helped me not to give up hope. 

On the anniversary of that fateful January day, I looked through photo after photo of Lukas' journey to life and to where he is presently. I looked at ultrasound photos from that day. I looked at photos from the day he was born, his stay in the NICU at Riley, his decline while in the NICU, photos from his operation and recovery. Its amazing how far he's come in his short 8-months. As I sat on the floor next to my little squirmy boy I just cried and cried. This time though, they were tears of happiness and joy. A pretty stark contrast from the tears I shed at this time last year. If this past year has taught me anything its that miracles do happen. Lukas is my miracle. He's my living, breathing, smiling, laughing miracle. He reminds me of what life is all about every time I look him in the eye. He's shown me what strength and bravery are really all about. 

With that said, my little heart hero is growing by leaps and bounds. At his last pediatrician appointment he was in the 40th percentile for weight and 70th for height. That's a pretty big change from his first few appointments when he was only in the 8th percentile across the board. He's growing like a weed and he looks so, so healthy. He's been receiving the Synagis vaccine (which helps prevent RSV) each month, so I've had the unique opportunity to monitor his weight gain. Last month he was almost 16lbs. He has rolls upon rolls. He has his two bottom teeth (and a whole lot more coming in) so his smile is perhaps the sweetest, funniest thing I've ever seen. He sticks those two bottom teeth out and just throws his head back and laughs. Its a riot. He's come so far in his 8-months on this Earth. Its such a miracle. Everytime one of his doctors see him they are just blown away by him. So is his mama, I assure you =) He's the happiest, most joyful baby too. He barely ever cries and he just smiles and laughs all day long. My mom always says he is the jolliest baby she's ever seen (and she has 7 grandchildren mind you).

Photobucket
Lukas with his new Baltic amber teething necklace from Inspired by Finn
In the past month, I've also welcomed a new little nephew! My brother and my beautiful sister-in-law welcomed their first little one on January 23rd. His name is Jacob Everett (after my grandfather who passed away in 2004) and he was born weighing 8lbs 2oz and 22.75" long! He's absolutely beautiful! And my brother and sis-in-law? Well, they are over the moon and it totally shows in the way they look at their beautiful little boy. I felt so privileged to be there on the day they entered into the amazing world of parenthood and I have to say, they're naturals! 

Photobucket
welcome to the world baby Jacob!
So there you have it friends. Just a little recap of our 2012 thus far. Its been a great year so far and I'm feeling very blessed. Each day with my little family is just a reminder of how lucky we truly are. 

Until next time...

P.S. - I just realized my blog banner still says fall - think I should change that? haha
Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...