Monday, August 15, 2011

Blessed by Bovine.

I realize the title of this post may be a little strange, but I promise it will make sense in a few minutes. Just bear with me.

Today we celebrated my bright eyed 4-year old's first day of school. He talked all morning long about seeing Mrs. Denney and he kept grabbing random things and sticking them in his backpack to show her. First it was Mr. Potato Head, then it was Woody and Buzz, then it was his "pennies" (aka change he "borrowed" from my purse). I thought he was going to burst at the seams when I told him it was time to finally go. He grabbed his backpack, put it on and literally ran as fast as his little legs could carry him to the garage. Before he got in the car though the sappy mama in me had to take a few pictures because he was just too cute.

Photobucket
acting like he was taking a picture too - he's his mama's boy
Photobucket
waiting to go inside
He was so cute. When I finally got him out of the car he wanted to put his backpack on and he literally dragged all of us hand-in-hand to the doors. As the other kids and their parents starting crowding the doors too my little boy became awfully timid. He was holding onto my leg for dear life. I think the large, hectic crowd got him a little flustered. It was chaotic and noisy to say the least. 

We finally got him inside and found his hook for his belongings. He wanted a kiss and a hug and then he told me to leave, haha. Little stinker. Mrs. Denney was very excited to meet little Lukas. I showed her his incision and talked to her for a minute about the way things happened after his birth and before his and after his operation. She was so glad to hear that things were now okay. I got a little teary eyed recounting it all. It was such a powerful time in my life. It still only feels like yesterday, which made it all the more interesting when I came home and found this.

Photobucket
That's the appointment card from the day we got Lukas' diagnosis; the day that changed our lives forever. I sat for a minute and just gazed at it in my hand. I'll never forget the emotions of that day. I will never forget the moment Dr. Darragh looked me in the eye and told me Lukas had truncus. I grabbed that card and tucked it away in Lukas' memory box as I wiped away a few more tears. 

Now, I told you the title of the post would make sense. If you beared with me its about to make sense. You see, I got this envelope in the mail addressed to Lukas from a company called MedTronics. I opened it and inside was an identification card for Lukas' conduit. It has a model number, a serial number and everything. When I flipped it over this is what I saw: 

Photobucket

The conduit inside Lukas is called a Contegra graft. This Contegra graft just so happens to have a bovine valve in it (aka a cow valve). Does the title make sense? We were blessed with the bovine. Thank goodness for cows! They blessed us with the valve that saved my little boy. Cows are pretty much my heroes now. Just saying.

In any event, I hope you all had a beautiful weekend and hopefully going back to work (or school) wasn't too hard. Happy Monday friends!

P.S. - Please take a moment and pray for the families and individuals afflicted by this weekend's accident at the Indiana State Fair. 5 people lost their lives and dozens were injured when the staging at the Sugarland concert collapsed. Please pray for those who are hospitalized with injuries and pray for those families who lost their loved ones in this terrible, tragic accident.
Share |

1 comment:

  1. Treynor is also "blessed by bovine"... thankful for the technology that allows that. :) And, you know - I bet before we know it - our Treynor and Lukas will be off to school How scary is that!?! <3

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...