Friday, December 16, 2011

Touching.

Every once in a great while a story comes along and really warms your heart. This week has left me awe inspired. It has strengthened my belief in the power of this heart community and what an incredible group my Lukas belongs to. This week has shown me what a group of determined, compassionate folks can do for one of their own.

I was honored to be involved in the transport of a heart family from right here in my home state of Indiana to Boston. This sweet little fella, named Pierce, has Heterotaxy Syndrome. He needed to get to Children's Hospital Boston for life saving surgery, but had been denied such a transfer by Medicaid. This family was fighting for the life of their son. After I received an email from my dear friend, Kristine McCormick, I brainstormed with my incredible grandmother because she's my go-to advice guru. She always seems to have the right words and the right advice. She gave me the name of a charity air ambulance that I passed along to Pierce's mother. Grace on Wings, based out of Plainfield, Indiana chartered a flight for Pierce from Indianapolis to Boston. The only hiccup is that approximately $7500 was needed to pay for the fuel for the flight. With the help of social media and heart families from across the nation, Pierce received enough money to pay for the flight in around 90 minutes. 90 minutes. How amazing is that? Complete strangers from around our great community donated money to this family to help them ensure they could spend Christmas with their sweet boy. This community helped to ensure one sweet little life would not be lost to the CHD battle. In the face of a seemingly impossible situation, this community banded together to save a life. Friends, that's pretty awesome. Really awesome. There is more to their story and they've encountered many, many hiccups in their journey to Boston, but so many people have opened their hearts and the stars have aligned. And tonight? Tonight Pierce is in Boston and they're finally where they need to be. It's really amazing stuff. Follow along with Pierce's Facebook page or Twitter account to keep up to date with their journey.

I cried as I saw photos of Pierce boarding his plane bound for Boston. I cried as I heard the news their flight had landed and they had made their journey safely. Tonight I ask each of you, my friends, to keep praying for Pierce and his family.  Pray their journey is a little easier and that they can finally breath a sigh of relief. I know Pierce's mama, Jessamyn, would deeply appreciate it. 

All of these warm, fuzzy feelings got me thinking today. It got me thinking about where we were 6-months ago and the fear we felt not knowing what the next few days held for our son, let alone the next few months. We watched each day as he declined and we feared the worst. We feared losing our darling boy to this CHD battle. Six months later, we have our boy here with us. He's healthy, thriving, and doing far better than almost anyone anticipated he would. You know why? Because we had an amazing team that wasn't giving up on him. Because of Dr. Turrentine, Dr. Farrell, all of the cardiologists, nurses, neonatologists, respiratory therapists, social workers, and support staff that came into contact with Lukas, he's here today. We get to spend Christmas with him and we get to see his smile and hear his laugh every single day. They gave us the most amazing gift anyone can give. They gave our son a chance. He's here today because of their compassion and talent. Thanks guys. From the bottom of this grateful heart - thank you. I can't say it enough. I'm honored to have these amazing folks caring for my son. I'm honored to know them and honored to be able to shake their hand (or hug them).

I'm thankful for you all too. I get to share so much with you all and I'm so grateful that you listen to my rambling. You guys rock. Seriously.

Until next time...

P.S. - If you'd like to see more of Pierce's story, watch this clip from CNN featuring Elizabeth Cohen and Jessamyn, Pierce's mother.

Oh and its my mama's birthday tomorrow. Happy birthday mom!!
Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...