Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Looking Back.

Lastnight I was peering over my husband's shoulder and I just stared at Lukas a moment. He was smiling in his sleep and purring like a little kitten. I smiled a great big smile and laid my head on my pillow and just thought back. I thought back to where we were and how far we've come. 6-months ago today Jonathan and I went through the hardest day in all of our lives. We walked our littlest boy down to the operating room and said "see you later" as we watched the surgical team walk away. We had been through a hellacious weekend and just a day earlier signed the consent forms to allow Dr. Turrentine to work his magic and repair Lukas' broken heart. I'll never forget the emotions that swept over us as we got word he had been placed on bypass and his operation was underway. I'll never forget biting my lip and praying to God Lukas would come off bypass okay as we awaited the official word from the OR. When that update came and we found out our boy was okay and he had made it through his first open heart operation successfully, I'll never forget the gratitude I felt in my heart. For you all, for Dr. Turrentine and his team, and for our baby boy.

Photobucket
our baby boy June 18th - two days before his operation
These past 6-months with Lukas have been a sheer blessing. To describe each day as any less than magical wouldn't do it justice. He's brought so much into our lives. He's changed my outlook on this world and he has given me a passion unlike anything I've ever known. As we approach the 1-year mark from the day we received his diagnosis, know this. This past year has not been easy. Its been the scariest, most terrifying year of my life, but its also been the most miraculous. We've witnessed a true miracle and we get to spend every day of our lives watching that miracle smile and laugh. That's an amazing gift. This Christmas has an entirely new meaning for our family. We are basking in the joy of what Dr. Turrentine and his team did for our son. They gave him a second chance at life. They made sure his story was a successful one. I know not all families are so lucky and for them, my heart aches. That makes me all the more determined to never take Lukas for granted. To spend everyday thankful for him and thankful that he can smile at me while I write this. I'm so unbelievably grateful to everyone who touched his life and had a hand in saving it.  

Photobucket
Our little family - all complete (if only Lukas were actually looking- darn it) -courtesy of Banayote Photography
In an attempt to show my gratitude, I emailed our beloved Dr. Turrentine just to thank him for what he has done for our family and what he does for so many other families. I told him how much I admired him and how much his compassion and determination show in his work. I also told him how honored I was to have him be a part of our team. And you know what? He took the time out of his incredibly busy schedule to write me back. To tell me he appreciated my words and my note. To let me know he was so happy to hear how well Lukas is doing and to wish me and our family a happy holiday. I think that's such a wonderful thing. Someone of his caliber took the time out of his day to write little ole' me an email back. That's cool. Way cool. I don't know if he will ever see this, but I just wanted to say to Dr. Turrentine - thank you for being you. Thank you for everything you do in your work to help others. You are a kind, selfless man and its an honor and a privilege to know you.

6-months ago today the nature of Lukas' heart defect became very real for our family. Our boy has overcome a lot, but he's doing amazing and we owe it all to the amazing team at Riley Hospital for Children. 6-months ago today, Lukas got to start his new life. And for that, I am thankful. Today and always.

Happy Tuesday friends! Until next time...
Share |

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...