Thursday, March 31, 2011

Sew-a-Thon

In a desperate attempt to keep myself busy and make the time pass quickly until my appointment on the 5th, I have been sewing like its no one's business. My mom laughs at me because she constantly comments on my new "domesticated" nature. She even said my Dad was a little surprised by the fact I do this stuff. I will say, if you asked me years ago whether I would own a sewing machine let alone use it or enjoy it, I probably would have told you that the cheese had slid off of your cracker. No way, no how. But I do own a sewing machine and I do enjoy making things. To me, its a challenge. I love to take up new things and test my abilities in different ways. I will admit, I am no pro. My stitches aren't always perfectly straight and there are times I have to start over multiple times. But it is oh-so-satisfying when I can get the job done and make something out of what used to be a pile of fabric and notions. 

I started off making my soon-to-be new cousin Ashley (she is marrying my cousin Brandon in June and she's awesome!) a cute little clutch. You see, I promised to be a lot more active in helping her with wedding prep, as I know how stressful it can be. Then we found out about Lukas' heart defect and I became less than helpful. And I felt bad. I wanted to do something nice for her to tell her I was sorry, especially considering how often she texts me just to say she is thinking of me and Lukas or comments on my Facebook posts to say she can't wait to meet him. She totally rocks. It was my first attempt at ever creating something of this nature, but it turned out pretty cute despite some its imperfections. I even made her a customized little label with her and Brandon's names and their wedding date. Just so she would always have something to remind her of that magical moment in their lives when she looked inside. I even tried super hard to find some fabric(s) that matched her wedding colors. 



I also made Lukas some soft soled crib shoes. They are so tiny and sweet that I just want to eat them up. I can't wait until sweet little newborn feet fill them. The ones in the middle are totally seamless and reversible. I finally figured out how to do it!! So more will be coming his way, I assure you.

taken on my phone so I apologize for the grainy-ness
Then I rounded out my sewing adventures yesterday by making myself some nursing pads out of organic cotton sherpa. They are soooo soft. Like the inside of a brand new sweatshirt. I am planning on making more, but it was late and I think Jonathan was getting annoyed with my sew-a-thon.

also taken on my phone - sorry guys! (there are also two of each, just hidden under one another)
My little sewing adventures have definitely been keeping me busy, which is a good thing. I want to make so, so many things for Lukas and the boys its not even funny. I find myself actively having to shut off my brain in order to concentrate on one project at a time. Its just fun and I always think those handmade treasures are so much more meaningful. Even when I got a little frustrated, I still kept smiling because I could see these little projects transforming into something more than scraps of fabric and it made my heart soar. It gave me a sense of accomplishment, which is a feeling I haven't exactly felt privileged to know in weeks past. And it felt so great to share photos with my family and friends to hear them say they thought my projects were awesome. That little boost sure did feel good - even if they do feel obligated to say they like it =)

So now, Tuesday is but a blink away. Its going to be a long appointment, but I am excited to see my sweet boy on ultrasound again. They are doing another growth scan so I am desperately looking forward to seeing how his growth has changed and how big he might be right now, even if it is just an estimate. They are doing another echo too, so I am excited to see that magical little heart fluttering away on the screen and watching it pump so perfectly right now despite its imperfections. I don't really dread these appointment anymore, which I feel is good. Even though I know the appointments are going to be long and the drive downtown in rush hour traffic isn't exactly my idea of a good time, its all for the greater good. Its all part of motions that will eventually land my beautiful boy right in my arms. And I can't wait because its going to be amazing.

So my friends, have a beautiful rest of the day. Hopefully the sun is shining and its warmer in your neck of the woods than it is in mine =) Keep smiling friends and keep on praying for our tiny Lukas! 

P.S. - can you believe we are going to be 30 weeks tomorrow?? AHHH!
Photobucket
Share |

7 comments:

  1. I would like to be one of the first "strangers" that is in no way obligated to say anything nice about your sewing to comment. I LOVE all of the items that you made! They are all AWSOME! I bet the nursing pads are cheap and easy to make and I bet that there are many out there that would buy them! You should make tons and sell them....it would be a great way to raise money for the Lukas Corwin Medical Fund! Anyway....I have been following your blog for a while now and Lukas is always in my prayers and will continue to be!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your sweet comments Jaki! I really appreciate it! I have thought about selling stuff, but I am scared people won't like my stuff!!! I will definitely have to look into that though, thank you for the suggestion! =)And thank you for thinking of our sweet boy. I appreciate that more than I can tell you!

    -Christie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joannie from TexasMarch 31, 2011 at 9:34 PM

    My Goodness!! Your items are fantastic!! You go girl!
    Thinking of you and your family and your precious ones even though I rarely comment. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm....wow....my mouth was hanging open by the time I got to the last picture. Girl, you are GOOD!! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the crib shoes! My sewing machine has been dusty for so long because I always thought there wasn't much to make for boys. You have put me to shame! Do you have a pattern, and do you mind sharing it (for the crib shoes)?

    And, totally, you could sell this stuff! Soft, organic nursing pads?! Where were you two years ago when I needed them??! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there!
    New follower here from SocialMoms. Would you mind sharing the templates for the crib shoes? I need to make my daughter some especially for when I'm babywearing.. she kicks me and it HURTS with hard sole shoes!!

    Anyways, would love the follow back: http://www.angiedoula.blogspot.com

    Other followable stuff:
    http://www.doulaville.com/angiedoula.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there, what a beautiful website! Love all of your items. I am following you from Social Moms (following as MBD), you can follow me back at

    http://absolutelynoproblems.blogspot.com

    Prayers to you and your family.

    Monica D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your stuff too! You are an excellent sewer. I loved the shoes (my new grandson in May) and the coin purse for his mommy and grandma. You'd have NO problems selling them. You also have a great website and my prayers are with your family and little Lukas when he makes his debut.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...